Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Library Spotlight: Juliaetta Community Library

On a lovely Autumn day, I took a drive up to Juliaetta. My plan was to take pictures of the local library there because I wanted to do a spotlight. I had been to the library before for a book signing event. It was something I got to do with my Mom - Pamela Thorson. When I parked the car, I got out and strolled down the sidewalk. The outside of the library is whimsical - which I love. It has various book covers painted on the outside wall. Can you guess what my favorite was? After I took those pictures, I stepped inside the door. The library always feels so welcoming when I enter it. It's both cozy and comforting.



I approached Erin, the librarian, at the front desk. I first met her at the book signing we had. She's a wonderful individual. So thoughtful, open, and kind. I also found her to be highly knowledgeable about the library and the books. In a message, she answered all of my many questions I had about it. Erin has been with the library since 2017. She said that, "Being a librarian was always a dream of mine, but it never seemed plausible." She's always loved reading, so this is the perfect job for her. After saying "hi" to Erin, I walked around the library. I took a couple of pictures while doing so. It's such a calm environment.







The library has a great place for kids, too. There was a corner just for them. They also have a summer reading program for all ages, and they host events every week during summer for kids. During the year, they do a book talk book club, art contests, craft events, storytimes, and gardening events. Along with the events, they offer free internet, access to Libby and close to 1 million ebooks, hoopla, dvd's, board games, a sewing machine, and a ukulele. At the end of my taking photos, I entered a raffle they had for an Autumn prize. The raffle lasts until November 5th. The tickets are $2.00 each or 3 for $5.00. 



The history behind the library itself is interesting. Erin gave me some info about it. The library is more than 120 years old. She said, "It was originally the top floor of a two-story building. The order of Rebecca's used it for a meeting hall." The library was lowered where it stands today in the 1930's. Erin went on to say, "The library was given the first 10 feet of the building to use in the 70's. In the 80's, they got another 10 feet, and in the late 80's, they were given the entire space." The library is a branch of the Latah County Library District. They serve both Juliaetta and Kendrick. They are part of the Valnet Consortium of Libraries that has 47 libraries from Potlatch to Elk City, as well. They share books in the consortium with patrons which has almost half a million books. It has much to offer.







There is an update for the Juliaetta Community Library. They announced that they're moving to a building in Kendrick. I don't know when, but I'm sure it'll be really nice. At the end of my visit to the library, I drove back home. Thinking back to my visit, the library is a special place and Erin is an awesome librarian. Erin said, "I have the life I only dreamed about as a kid. I get to talk about books all day..." It's an inspiring thing when you meet someone that is enthusiastic about their job. So, if you have the chance, be sure to drop by and look through their books. Say, "hi" to Erin there when you visit, too.

You can like their Facebook page at Friends of the Juliaetta Community Library.

Many blessings,
- Grace Thorson

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Grace! What a great blog post about one of my favorite places! You are a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice article, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and great information! I love that library, and I hope the move to Kendrick is a great one for them. Erin is awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Red Vibrance