Monday, June 24, 2024

Business Spotlight: Local Wendy's


I sometimes have some free time in the afternoon, so I did a little exploring. I know my definition of exploring is most likely simple and easy for other people. But my inside social anxiety makes everything an adventure, so that's kind of how it feels to me. My senses are heightened when I step outside of my comfort zone. And on this particular day, I went to our local Wendy's. It's one of my favorite fast-food places, but I never eat inside. It makes me too nervous, so I avoid it. However, I changed that on this afternoon. I stepped into Wendy's, nerves and all. Stubbornly, I was going to enjoy this experience.


With determination, I tried to ignore my feelings. I already kind of knew what I wanted. I had walked through it in my mind, because I didn't want to appear awkward. I felt like everyone was watching me order, so I had to know what I wanted beforehand. Knowing that, I pushed the door open and walked in. I waited behind another customer, and when it was my time, I ordered. I like to think that I went through it seamlessly. I picked out a baked potato (they still make them!), a fry, and frosty. I didn't get a small drink because I thought a frosty would be good enough. It was! So I paid for it all and gave them my name. 




My true reason for coming to Wendy's was nostalgic. Long ago, I used to go inside and eat with my Grandma and cousin/friend. We would sit at the same spot almost every time. It was next to the window looking out. I remembered the feeling of happiness when I got to spend time with them, and of course, in eating some delicious food. My Grandma would take us both out to eat and go shopping. We spent many nights with her. My cousin and I played together with our Pound Puppies houses (they were kind of like Polly Pocket, but I don't know how to describe them). The places to shop were Walmart, and the mall that's kind of like a hall. There's no levels. I call it "the hall" because of it. Anyways, good times.



If I remember right, Wendy's used to have a kids meal. I don't know if they still have that or not. As I grew older, I would get a baked potato, fry, and frosty. What I got that day was almost identical except the potato came with bacon. I was picky with meat as a kid, so I didn't always get a hamburger. I did like chicken nuggets, however (sometimes). All good food; all wonderful times. I wish so much that my Grandma was still alive, and that my cousin lived closer (we grew up together). While I can't eat Wendy's with them again like this, I'll hold these precious memories close, because they mean so much to me.

In the past years, it's also been my Dad's favorite place. We still, if we head into town for something together, we get a bite to eat there (just in the drive-thru). I suppose what one must do in this moment, is to remember to hold time spent with others a priority. Just hold them near, and once they're gone, make those memories last. I'm so glad I stopped here. But who knows? I may do it again soon. Thanks, Grandma! Miss you lots.

Many blessings,
- Grace Thorson

1 comment:

  1. What an original and interesting post! Well-written and full of feeling. Love it! Makes me miss Grandma T. and the far-away fam, too.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: A Golden Moment