Monday, June 10, 2024

Museum Spotlight: Nez Perce National Historical Park

Museum: Nez Perce National Historical Park
Location: Lapwai, Idaho

I heard that the Nez Perce National Historical Park in Lapwai, Idaho had a new exhibit. I had plans to visit it as soon as I could. After work, I left to drive over to the visitor center. My camera in tow, I parked my car in the parking lot and got out. Admiring the green hills surrounding the center, I followed the path to the doors. Took a few pictures of the outside building itself, and then stepped in. I was welcomed by two people at the front counter. They were friendly and helpful. I greeted them back and started taking pictures.

On the left wall, a beautiful mural. A long canoe sat alongside it. I snapped a couple of different angles. This wasn't part of the new exhibit. I had seen it before, but it's always so cool. As I finished taking pictures of it, I focused my attention on the horse within a glass case. I especially liked this. It wasn't new either, but I didn't remember it much from the last I went there. The Nez Perce pride themselves on the Appaloosa, and I can only imagine this wear on a real horse. If you've ever seen an Appaloosa, they're beautiful horses.



I opened the door leading to the new exhibit. I was excited to see it. Admittedly, I tried to open the wrong door when it was clearly labeled that the right door was the one to open. Shaking off the embarrassment, I walked into the dark room. It was completely different from what I remember of the old exhibit. The old exhibit was more simpler and had some information about the artifacts. This one was immersive and informational. It was much more interactive in that it had things you could do. There was also plenty of information. I really liked it; however, I was distracted by taking my many photos.

I do this when I take photos. I forget to enjoy and take in something when I'm in the zone. I regret not spending more time in reading the info and joining in on the interactive stations they had. The nice thing is, I can easily visit it again, and pay more attention. There were a few people at the museum that seemed like they were outside of the area. The kids were enjoying the exhibit, and the parents took photos. I was concerned myself with taking photos, but I still really enjoyed it. Would go again to take it in better.








It's not a large exhibit, but it's modern and new. I liked how they combined the new with the old. There's the glass cases with items to view, and screens to look at. Plenty of info for the curious. After I wandered around, I stepped out of the exhibit and into the brighter room. This time I chose the right door. I wasn't going to repeat that same mistake. In that room, they have a nice gift shop for people to look through. I came really close to buying a shirt and cup. Instead, I purchased a sticker and what looks like a coin. It's not. It's a neat token. Next time I'll get that shirt and cup. I don't need more cups, but... 

I recommend visiting the museum to see the new exhibit. Bring your family and enjoy the past that has a modern way of viewing it. For more info about the museum, you can google hours and info. Where should I go next? Leave a comment with your ideas. Please, don't forget to follow my blog and like my page on Facebook! Thank you so much.

Many blessings,
- Grace Thorson

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos, Grace. I'm going to have to go over there again and see the new exhibit.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: A Golden Moment